Hong Kong taxi drivers, love them or hate them (actually, mostly just dislike them). They’re not ALL bad, perhaps 50% are adequate. Here are a few of the reasons why they’re not popular. Feel free to add your own reasons in the comments!
10. They curse non-stop, and complain about where you want to go
9. They don’t help you with your suitcase, or even offer to
8. They drop you off at the wrong place, and then insist that it is correct
7. They always try to keep the change, despite giving you poor service
6. They smell bad, or the interior of the taxi does
5. They take the long way to get to your destination
4. They ransom, or simply just keep your mobile phone if it falls out of your pocket
3. They (illegally) want to know where you’re going before they’ll open the door (Which is why one person recently tried to Gangnam Style dance their way into a taxi… it didn’t work!)
2. They price-gouge, asking you to pay an exorbitant flat fee to get you someplace. It’s illegal, but commonplace in the Lan Kwai Fong nightlife area
1. They keep. Stepping. On. The Accelerator. And Then. Stepping. On. The Break. Which is. SUPER Annoying!
Bonus reason: they try to adjust their mirror so that they can look up girls skirts! Ewww!
H.K. taxi drivers bad reputation was once the subject of a Hong Kong movie titled “Taxi Hunter“, starring Anthony Wong Chau-Sang!